How can we maintain our own sanity during the busiest shopping time of the year? Here are 15 steps to help guide you during the holiday season.
- Breathe – take a deep breath and prepare yourself for the day at hand. Remember ONE DAY AT A TIME!
- Plan Ahead – Sometimes taking a few minutes to prepare yourself and plan the tasks at hand – is worth its weight in silver and gold!
- Be Flexible – Everyone who walks in – needs something different!
- Put Customers 1st – They chose to visit your establishment – honor their choice and embrace it!
- Focus on Customers not Sales – sounds backwards right? Focusing on the individual will be profitable in the long run!
- Just Say Hello – A warm hello from a stranger will always make someone else smile!
- Make Your Customer Smile – Feeling welcomed and wanted will make that customer a repeat and loyal customer!
- Put Yourself in Their Shoes – Easy to do, if you choose to!
- Be Fast and Friendly – this will always bring your customer back again and again!
- Be Extra Patient– it’s the time of year when patience seems to run short for EVERYONE – remind yourself over and over to be patient!
- Keep Calm and Maintain a Positive Attitude – the best way to help your customer is to showcase a calm and positive demeanor at all times!
- Train Temporary Employees– nothing ruins customer service faster than one employee telling a customer one thing and another employee telling them something completely different! Everyone has to be on the same page at all times!
- Add Something Extra to Delight Customers– everyone likes to feel appreciated and you can show your customers appreciation by giving them a small token of your gratitude. Nothing extravagant – a small candy cane or small gift!
- Have Fun– nothing makes the day drag on more than dreading your job and dreading the work at hand!
- BE THE EXAMPLE– Show your customers WHY they chose you and WHY they continue to return to your establishment!
Following these few simple steps on a daily basis will make your days easier and will remind your customers why they choose YOU!
Now is the time of year when all Customer Service Representatives need to take a collective deep breathe and charge full speed ahead. This is the time where you can truly shine! It is my true belief that if you put forth effort and kindness – it will be returned.
Now, I’m not naive enough to think that you won’t encounter that one person who ruins your entire day or your entire week – trust me I’ve met that person too! But, I also choose to be the one to rise above and treat that customer with respect and dignity no matter what.
Why you ask? Because that’s how I EXPECT and DEMAND to be treated. If I expect that level of service – I better be able to provide others with the same level when I’m in charge.